Neighborhood Block Party Permit
- The City of Santa Cruz encourages the community in its efforts to have block parties. It is necessary to balance the probable impact with the needs of the rest of the community.
- Block parties are scheduled by residents for their neighbors, family, & friends to build a closer community.
- These events include requests to close a street in a specific neighborhood. Sidewalks must remain open and available to nonparticipants.
- Invitations should not be distributed beyond the residents and their guests. The events are not open to the general public.
- Note: If your neighborhood event includes sales of goods or services, unusually large numbers of people, street closures, amplified music, and/or admission charges, this event may be considered a large special event and require different applications, permits, various departmental approval and, occasionally City Council approval.
NOTE: Application Fee is $50.00 as of Jan. 1, 2018
- The following forms will need to be submitted at least 30 days before the planned date of the block party:
- Street Closures – The barricade information sheet must be reviewed prior to submitting application. These requirements must be complied with by the block party coordinator/permittee.
- The City does not provide barricades or cones. These are available at the traffic equipment rental companies (A Tool Shed 831-477-7133; StopCo 831-238-1066; Western Traffic Supply 925-249-1854).
- Please keep in mind that the block party should not be considered confirmed until your application and forms are submitted, reviewed, and approved. Once your completed application and fees are received, I will coordinate obtaining input from other city departments that may be affected by your event. These include the police department, sanitation, and other departments as necessary. I will contact you as soon as possible to confirm your request.
- Upon approval of your application, signed permit(s) and conditions of use will be issued for you. These must be on hand and available upon request for City officials during your block party.
Kathy Agnone, Coordinator
Special Event Permit Office
City of Santa Cruz
809 Center Street, Room 10
Special Event Permit Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm & 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Fridays - by Appointment